Visitors can skip quarantine and head to the beach next month – COVID test in hand
With Hawaii slated to alter its quarantine order
on September 1, 2020, island hotels are ramping up new cleaning and service programs to welcome guests.
Beginning September 1, 2020, all trans-Pacific travelers arriving in Hawaii from out-of-state will have the option to get a valid COVID-19 test prior to their arrival, and show proof of a negative test result, to avoid the 14-day quarantine. Evidence of a negative test result must be provided upon arrival in Hawaii.
Without this, passengers arriving from out-of-state will be subject to the 14-day quarantine. Travelers will be responsible for the cost of the pre-travel test. No testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport.
The Hawaii Health Department is in the process of developing this program, but anticipates requiring an FDA-approved test from a CLIA certified laboratory. These plans are in development and the process and requirements are to be determined in the coming weeks
Governor David Ige also announced the partial reinstatement of the interisland quarantine, effective Aug. 11, 2020. The 14-day quarantine requirement will apply to any person traveling to the counties of Kauai, Hawaii, Maui and other islands. Interisland passengers arriving on Oahu are not required to quarantine.
Cindy McMillan, Communications Director for the governor, cautions that everything regarding the novel coronavirus is provisional. She told Business Traveler USA in an email that “all measures related to the fight against COVID-19 are subject to change with little to no notice.”NEXT LEVEL for Hotel Operators
To prepare for the building wave of tourism as the Hawaiian Islands open up, Aqua-Aston Hospitality
, one of Hawaii’s largest hotel operators hosting 5.5 million guests per year, began its NEXT LEVEL program August 1, 2020, at its 30+ managed hotels and resorts.
“The program was created according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and in collaboration with industry leading cleaning product companies, and it elevates our cleaning and disinfection approach with hospital-grade products and stringent cleaning protocols. From check-in to check-out, we want our guests, their families, and friends to feel comfortable and confident about the cleanliness of their accommodations,” said Lesli Reynolds, Senior Vice President of Operations, for Aqua-Aston.The program
includes designated NEXT LEVEL CLEAN Champions at each of the company’s managed hotels and resorts. These champions are leading the implementation of our new procedures, including:
1. Using electrostatic sprayers to apply CDC-approved cleaning agents.
2. Placing social distancing signage and indicators on property, including protective Plexiglas screens at key points of service.
3. Cleaning high-touch surfaces at the front desk (ex: counters, keyboards, payment stations, and key cards) and in guest rooms (ex: light switches, remote controls, and door handles).
4. Allowing a minimum of 24-hours for guest room cleaning between check-ins.
5. Introducing modified, limited-contact housekeeping and maintenance services.
6. Conducting daily health screenings and temperature checks for associates prior to each shift.
7. Providing personal protective equipment and enhanced safety training to associates.
8. Placing sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer in guest rooms and at the front desk.
9. Providing face masks to guests upon request.
Aqua-Aston, headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaii, will allow new reservations with arrival dates through September 30, 2020, to be changed or cancelled – at no charge – up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival date.