A new study shows that one in four food lovers will go the distance to dine at a hidden gem restaurant. A survey conducted by KAYAK and Open Table found that one in five Americans will plan a trip based solely on how good they expect the food to be.
A separate survey, conducted by YouGov, found that nearly three quarters (73 percent) of Americans will pick a local restaurant over a top tier establishment when traveling. Additional key takeaways from the survey include:
• Americans will travel for a good meal. 44 percent of Americans said they would book a flight or train or even take a road trip or bus ride just to dine at a specific restaurant. Many also noted that they’d take a long detour (30 percent) or a day trip (42 percent) just to dine at a restaurant they wanted to try.
• Good food is worth buckling in for. 61 percent of Americans would travel an hour or more to eat at a restaurant on their wish list.
• Travelers seek local vs. familiar Over 6 in 10 Americans (62 percent) agree they prefer to eat the local cuisine over more familiar food when on vacation.
To help the traveling foodie uncover the best hidden gem restaurants in popular citi4es and destinations, OpenTable looked to diners for their top recommendations and found these recommendations:
* 12th Avenue Grill – Honolulu, Hawaii
* Alux Restaurante – Cancun, Mexico
* Battista’s Hole in the Wall – Las Vegas, Nevada
* Bistro Campagne – Chicago, Illinois
* Cafe Luxembourg – New York, New York
* CRUST – Miami, Florida
* Frances – San Francisco, California
* Gilda by Belgious – Barcelona, Spain
* Mamma Maria – Boston, Massachusetts
* Musso & Frank Grill – Los Angeles, California
* Nusret Dubai – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
* Omonia Taverna & Bar – Frankfurt, Germany
* Osteria Savio Volpe – Vancouver, British Columbia
* Paddock & Vine – Sydney, Australia
* Rosetta – Mexico City, Mexico
* Schnitzelei Charlottenburg – Berlin, Germany
* Serafina by the Water – Fort Lauderdale, Florida
* Stella Cocktail Club – Dublin, Ireland
* Terroni Queen – Toronto, Ontario
* Tatel Madrid – Madrid, Spain
* The Tap Room at Dubsdread- Orlando, Florida
* Van Speyk – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
* Westerns Laundry – London, England
* Wirtshaus in der Au – Munich, Germany
* 開花屋 (Kaikaya by the Sea ) – Tokyo, Japan