Marriott International expects to add 19 new properties and more than 3,000 rooms to its Middle East and Africa portfolio this year. The new additions are in line with the company’s expansion plans to add more than 100 new properties and nearly 26,000 rooms across the region by the end of 2023 – a pipeline that represents nearly $8 billion in investments from property owners.
Year-to-date, the company has opened five new properties in the region and is expected to add 14 more – bringing its portfolio across the Middle East and Africa to nearly 270 properties and over 60,000 rooms – by the end of the year.
The company is poised to expand its luxury footprint in the region by more than 70 percent by the end of 2023, with more than 25 luxury properties under development. In 2019, that will be seen with seven anticipated openings across four brands:
• With the recent opening of W Dubai – The Palm and the anticipated openings of W Muscat and W Yas Island, W Hotels should double its portfolio in the region.
• St. Regis anticipates debuting in Jordan and Egypt with the openings of The St. Regis Amman and The St. Regis Cairo.
• Seychelles’ North Island is expected to join The Luxury Collection’s portfolio of world-renowned hotels and resorts.
• JW Marriott anticipates marking its entry into Oman with the opening of the JW Marriott Muscat Convention Center.
Substantial Growth across Premium Brands
The growth of Marriott’s premium brands remains steady across the region with more than 30 hotels expected to be added to the portfolio by the end of 2023. By the end of 2019, the company expects to have added four new hotels under its premium portfolio for the region:
• The Autograph Collection anticipates marking its debut in Kenya with the addition of Sankara Nairobi.
• Marriott Hotels and Marriott Executive Apartments strengthened its presence in Saudi Arabia with the recent openings in the Diplomatic Quarter of Riyadh. Marriott Executive Apartments is also expected to open a new property in Madinah later this year.
• Marriott Hotels is also planning to open its second property in Algeria, in the capital city of Algiers
In addition to the openings in 2019, Marriott i